Creating narrative that is inspired through an interview
Key skills you will learn
- What is BP
- The difference between Subject and Content
- Working with real people in collaboration
- How to conduct an interview that will provide content for your work
- Using symbolism for storytelling
Biographical Portraiture (BP) is a two-part class. In this first class, we cover the basics of BP by practicing with someone you know first. In the second class, Making Art In Service To Community, we cover a more in-depth understanding of BP and working with the public.
BP is the use of personal or collective biography to create an artwork. It can be literal or symbolic. Interviewing the subject is a tool used to gather content to depict a story, theme, commentary, or perspective. Research can be an alternative tool for gathering information other than an interview. While BP is often used to portray a single person, it can also illustrate themes and topics that reflect social issues.
BP is for artists working in any medium, looking for a new and inspiring way to create portraiture that incorporates storytelling. This class will provide useful tools that will push the traditional portrait and offer an exciting way of working that can be used for a single picture or for engaging the public on a broader scope. Best suited for artists who have a medium they’re already familiar with. The workshop that follows BP is Making Art in Service to Community, a workshop that dives deeper into the practices of working with others to create commentary.
- Watch videos in order
- Allow the video to load in advance for seamless viewing. Push play >, then pause till the grey bar fills up at the bottom of the video
- Expand the video to full page by clicking on symbol of an X on the far right of the sound bar at the bottom of the video.
- PDF printouts are located under the class lesson video
- Join the class discussion in the comment box at bottom of page
- If you have ANY questions or trouble with this class email Ruth, RuthChaseFineArt@ymail.com
- Sign up for Ruth’s Newsletter here
- Email Ruth at RuthChaseFineArt@ymail.com
- Introduce yourself in the comment box at the bottom of the page
- Take notes on oversized paper or a journal
- Print Subject vs. Content PDF and use during video or afterward to continue practicing the difference between content and the subject matter.
- No Instructions
- Contact Ruth at RuthChaseFineArt@ymail.com for a followup phone appointment
- ZOOM MEETING FOLLOW UP: TBD
BIOGRAPHICAL PORTRAITURE Donation $10 or more
This class is FREE. Here is a place you can pay if you have the means. It is set up for increments of $10. There is no pressure to pay, only a place to do so if you’re able.